This is a local version of the popular British Toad in a Hole recipe (sausages baked in an egg batter). It’s perfect for weekend breakfasts, perfect for the whole family.
Serves: 6 - 8
- 4 x 250 ml (4 C) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 litre (4 C) milk
- 30 ml (2 T) parsley, chopped
- sunflower or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 x 300 g cans Bull Brand Corned Meat, sliced into thick strips
- First make the batter: place the flour, salt, eggs, milk and parsley in a bowl and beat until smooth and without any lumps. Set aside to stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic and peppers and fry until soft. Add the can of Bull Brand Corned Meat and fry until slightly browned.
- Place the meat mixture in a greased oven-proof dish and pour over the batter. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 45 minutes, or until the batter is puffed and a knife, when inserted into the batter, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a tomato smoortjie.