Cornbread with Meat SpreadServes 12 snack portions
Cornbread with Bull Brand spread makes a humble snack that’s sure to please.
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Meat
- 1 x 230 g tub cream cheese
- 10 ml (2 t) mayonnaise
- 10 ml (2 t) prepared mustard
- 15 ml (1 T) chopped parsley
- 3 chives, finely chopped
- grated rind and juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 x 410 g can whole kernel corn, drained
- 250 ml (1 C) maize meal
- 250 ml (1 C) plain cake flour
- 15 ml (1 T) baking powder
- 30 ml (2 T) sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) chilli flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 Peppadews or 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 250 ml (1 C) plain yoghurt
- 60 ml (¼ C) oil
- First make the spread by mashing the Bull Brand Corned Meat with a fork then adding the cream cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, chives and lemon rind and juice. Mix well and set in the fridge to chill for an hour or two.
- Now make the bread by mixing together in a large bowl the corn kernels, maize meal, cake flour, baking powder, sugar, chilli flakes, garlic and Peppadews or red pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, yoghurt and oil and stir into the dry mixture. Don’t over mix, just stir until lightly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 - 60 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on top.