Greek-style Bull Brand KebabsServes: 6
Use Bull Brand Corned Meat to make Greek kebabs, called kofkas. Serve them with soft, warm pitas and tzatziki – a garlic-cucumber sauce. It’s a delicious, easy and quick meal that’s loved the world over.
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Meat
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 80 ml (⅓ C) coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 65 ml (¼ C) onion, finely-grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 T) each chopped coriander, parsley and mint leaves
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cumin
- 1 ml (1/4 t) each turmeric, cinnamon and chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 250 ml (1 C) Greek yoghurt
- 10 ml (2 t) garlic, crushed
- 15 ml (1 T) mint, chopped
- the grated rind and juice of a lemon
- ¼ cucumber, cubed
- 6 pita breads
- 6 salad leaves
- To make the kebabs, place the Bull Brand Corned Meat in a mixing bowl and mash coarsely with a fork. Add the egg, crumbs, onion, garlic, coriander, parsley, mint, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, chilli powder and salt to taste. Mix lightly then work the mixture into oblong sausage shapes. Insert a skewer into each ‘sausage’, place on a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- To make the tzatziki, mix the yoghurt, 10 ml (2 t) garlic, 15 ml (1 T) mint, lemon rind and juice and the cucumber together. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, bake the kebabs in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve, heat the pita breads in the oven for a few minutes, make a split on the side of each pita, place a salad leaf inside, arrange the sausage on top and finish with a dollop of tzatziki.