This spicy one-dish meal is a smart budget beater. Add a few sambals, like chopped tomatoes, cucumber or sliced banana and you’ll have a feast.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- the seeds of 4 cardamom pods
- 8 cloves, slightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into smaller pieces
- 2.5 ml (½ t) turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 ml (2 C) rice
- 750 ml (3 C) prepared chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 x 300 g Bull Brand Corned Meat, cut into very small cubes
- 5 – 15 ml (1 – 3 t) dried red chilli flakes
- 45 ml (3 T) margarine or butter
- 45 ml (3 T) finely-chopped coriander leaves
- Fry the onion in oil until soft then add the cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric and bay leaves and fry for a further minute then stir in the rice. Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat and chilli flakes and stir lightly. Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- Mix the margarine or butter and coriander leaves and serve with sambals.