Umphokoqo with Beef StewServes: 4
The humble maize meal dish, Umphokoqo, is also known as African salad. And we’ve given it a delicious Bull Brand Twist and served it with beef stew.
- 625 ml (2¼ C) water
- 10 ml (2 t) salt
- 750 ml (3 C) maize meal
- 15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 t) garlic, crushed
- 3 large tomatoes, skinned and finely diced
- 50 g tomato paste
- 15 ml (3 T) sugar
- 30 ml (2 T) corn starch (Maizena)
- 250 ml (1 C) prepared beef stock (use a beef stock cube)
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Beef, sliced
- chopped parsley to taste
- 15 ml (1 T) butter or margarine
- Make the Umphokoqo first. Place the water and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Using a fork, stir in the maize meal and continue to stir until the mixture is crumbly. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes with a fork until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile make the stew. Heat the oil and add the onion. Fry until golden then add the chilli and garlic. Fry for a minute then add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar and stir well.
- Mix the corn starch (Maizena) with a little of the stock then stir it into the tomato mixture. Now add the rest of the stock to the tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, stirring all the time.
- Add the Bull Brand Corned Beef and stir gently until heated through. Add the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Stir the butter or margarine into the Umphokogo and serve with the stew.