Spicy Braised CabbageServes: 4 - 6
Slow things down a little with this spicy cabbage dish that uses a smart cooking method. To braise food means to simmer and fry the food alternately in a little liquid and oil or fat.
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 30 ml (2 T) curry powder
- 750 ml (3 C) cabbage, finely sliced
- 10 ml (2 t) cumin seeds
- 250 ml (1 C) prepared chicken stock
- 60 ml (¼ C) chutney
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Meat, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of coarsely chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil and add the onion and fry until soft and golden. Add the curry powder and fry briefly then add the cabbage and cumin seeds. Fry until glossy then add the stock. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquids have evaporated and the cabbage begins to fry again.
- Add the chutney, reduce heat and continue to fry the cabbage stirring regularly until the cabbage is tender – it will take about 30 minutes.
- Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat and toss lightly. Stir lightly (do not break the meat up too much) until the meat is piping hot.
- Season the mixture to taste, stir in the coriander leaves and serve with rice, mashed potato or pap.