Bull Brand Scone RollServes: 4 - 8
This recipe combines two family favourites: Bull Brand Corned Meat and scones. This dish can be served as a family meal or as a snack – simply change the portion sizes.
- 1 – 2 onions, chopped
- sunflower oil
- half a bunch of spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 x 410 g can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Meat, shredded with a fork
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250 ml (1 C) grated cheddar cheese
- 10 x 250 ml (10 C) self-raising flour
- 10 ml (2 t) salt
- 10 ml (2 t) mustard powder
- 400 g butter or margarine
- handful chopped parsley
- 4 eggs, whisked
- about 600 ml (2½ C) buttermilk or Amasi
- First prepare the filling: fry the onions in a little oil until soft and golden. Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat and the spinach and cook briefly until the spinach is soft. Stir in the baked beans and heat through. Season with salt and pepper if needed and set aside to cool a little.
- Now make the scone dough. Sift the flour, salt and mustard together. With your fingertips, rub the butter or margarine into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Using the back of a kitchen knife, mix in the egg and just enough milk to form a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 7 mm thick. Spoon the filling on top, level it out over the entire surface of the dough and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up the dough, cut into portion-size pieces and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little milk and bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C for about 15 - 20 minutes until the scone is done and lightly browned.