This recipe is a great way to add attitude to your Bull Brand meals. You can use either the beef or the meat variety, halve the recipe if you need fewer portions, and you can also leave out the cumin and chilli – and use BBQ spice and garlic powder instead.
Serves: 6 - 8
- 2 x 300 g cans Bull Brand Corned Beef or Corned Meat
- 45 ml (3 T) seasoned cake flour mixed with 45 ml corn flour
- 3 eggs, large
- 250 ml (1 C) dried breadcrumbs
- 15 ml (1 T) chopped coriander leaves or parsley
- 10 ml (2 t) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 t) dried red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- lemon slices and whole coriander or parsley sprigs
- Cut the Bull Brand Corned Beef or Meat into 1 cm slices and sprinkle liberally with the flour mixture and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and place them in a shallow bowl. Lightly mix the breadcrumbs, coriander or parsley, cumin, chilli flakes and salt and pepper together and place in a similar bowl.
- Now dip the floured meat slices into the beaten egg and then into the seasoned breadcrumbs. Pat the crumbs firmly into the meat and arrange in a single layer on a board. Cover and place in the fridge for an hour or until chilled and firm.
- To cook, heat about 1 cm of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan until medium hot. Fry the crumbed slices in the oil for a minute or so per side or until lightly golden and crisp. Drain well on kitchen paper towel, garnish with lemon slices and herb sprigs and serve with chakalaka, mash potatoes, rice or pap and a green salad.