Ingredients for the Chakalaka Corned Meat:
- 3Tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Canned Bull Brand Chakalaka Corned Meat
- 2Tbs Barbeque Spice
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (use whatever you have in the fridge — celery, beans, sweet potato, carrot) OR use Rhodes Quality Canned Sweetcorn/Rhodes Quality Canned Beans
- 1 cup canned Rhodes Quality Peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Vetkoek:
- 1 kg flour, plus extra for dusting
- 120g sugar
- 1 10g sachet instant yeast
- 2Tbs Oil
- 1Tbs Salt
- 1l warm water, keep 1 cup extra (if the dough is too stiff)
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Method for preparing the Chakalaka Corned Meat:Step 1: Heat the oil, in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
Step 2: Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add the onion, cayenne pepper and garlic and sauté until the onion softens.
Step 4: Add the corned beef, breaking it up with a spoon.
Step 5: Cook for 5 minutes until browned.
Step 6: Stir in the barbeque spice and cook for one minute.
Step 7: Add chopped vegetables and peas, stirring until cooked through. Check the seasoning.
Method for making the Vetkoek:Step1: Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, oil, salt and warm water.
Step 2: Add extra water only if necessary. Knead thoroughly, then allow to prove for 30 minutes until double in original size (this will take longer on a cold day).
Step 3: Dust a tray with flour.
Step 4: Scoop up handfuls of dough and roll into balls. Place the vetkoek on the tray and allow to rise until doubled in size.
Step 5: Heat the oil in a deep saucepan.
Step 6: Deep fry a few vetkoek at a time (do not fry a lot of balls at the same time). Keep turning the balls after every 2 minutes.
Step 7: Check the vetkoek after 10 minutes – they should have risen to the top of the oil.
Step 8: Drain on kitchen paper until ready to serve. Explore more of our delicious corned meat recipes here or watch some of our cooking videos for further inspiration.