Mini Meat & Pap TartsServes: 6 - 8
These tasty pap tarts combine two of our country’s favourite dishes – pap and meat. You can bake them as individual servings or as one large hearty tart.
- 1 litre water
- 500 ml (2 C) maize meal
- salt to taste
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges or slices
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sunflower or olive oil
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Beef, cut into small cubes
- 10 black olives, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 125 ml (½ C) cream or milk
- 10 ml (2 t) dried thyme or parsley
- 250 ml (1 C) grated cheddar cheese
- 5 ml (1 t) prepared mustard
- Mix the water and maize meal in a saucepan, season with salt to taste and bring to the boil while stirring. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on very low for about 45 minutes or until cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by frying the onion in oil until golden and soft. Add the garlic and can of Bull Brand Corned Beef and fry until the meat is lightly browned then stir in the olives, cover and set aside.
- Once the maize pap has cooled, whisk in 1 egg and then press the mixture into the bottom and sides of 6 – 8 small, loose-bottom tart pans or one large pie dish. Spoon the meat filling into the tart bases.
- Whisk the 2 remaining eggs with the rest of the ingredients and pour into the tarts. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the fillings are just set. Serve with salad.