- 6 large potatoes
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 250 g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 5 – 10 ml (1 – 2 t) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Meat, cut into very small cubes
- 1 x packet of instant mushroom sauce powder
- 325 ml (1¼ C) boiling water
- to taste: milk, margarine or butter, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
- 250 ml (1 C) cheddar or mozzarella cheese, grated
- 45 ml (3 T) parsley, chopped
- Peel and cut the potatoes in quarters. Place them in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover with a lid. Simmer on low for 20 – 25 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and add the onion, carrot and celery and fry until soft and golden (about 15 minutes), stirring often. Increase the heat and add the mushrooms. Stir-fry until the mushrooms are cooked. Add the garlic and can of Bull Brand Corned Meat and fry for 2 minutes, stirring carefully.
- Whisk the sauce powder and water together until smooth then add to the meat mixture together with the parsley. Continue stirring lightly until the sauce has thickened then spoon the mixture into an oven-safe dish.
- Drain the potatoes and mash using milk, margarine or butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg to your liking. Spoon or pipe the mashed potato on top of the meat mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 20 minutes or until the meat mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden. Serve with salad.