- 2 onions, chopped
- sunflower or olive oil
- 30 ml (2 T) garlic and ginger paste
- 30 – 45 ml (2 – 3T) curry powder
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cumin
- 10 ml (2 t) turmeric
- 15 – 30 ml (1 – 2 T) lemon juice
- 2 x 300 g cans Bull Brand Corned Meat, cubed
- 15 – 30 ml (1 – 2 T) smooth apricot jam
- 1 large green apple, grated
- 180 ml (¾ C) seedless raisins or sultanas
- 2 slices white bread, soaked in milk and crumbled
- 250 ml (1 C) Amasi or buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves or 2 large pieces of lemon peel
- Fry the onion in a little oil until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and ginger paste, the curry powder, cumin and turmeric and stir-fry until aromatic, about a minute. Add the lemon juice and mix. Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat and stir-fry for a minute to coat the cubes with the spices.
- Now add the jam, apple, raisins/sultanas and soaked bread, and season to taste.
- Mix well and spoon into a greased oven-safe dish and bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 10 minutes.
- Now whisk the Amasi or buttermilk and eggs together, and season with salt and pepper. Remove the meat from the oven and carefully pour the milk mixture over the meat mixture. Stick the bay leaves or lemon peel into the mixture and continue to bake at 180°C or until the custard-like egg topping is cooked and set.
- Remove from the oven and serve with rice and sambals.
Cooking Tip: Add a fruity touch: Thickly slice 3 bananas and place on top of the meat mixture before pouring the egg mixture over and baking.