- 2 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 30 ml (2 T) curry powder
- 10 ml (2 t) turmeric
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
- 10 ml (2 t) garlic, finely-chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared chicken stock
- 50 g tomato paste
- 1 x 300 g can Bull Brand Corned Meat, cut into small cubes
- 30 ml (2 T) plain cake flour
- 15 ml (1 T) meat masala
- 45 ml (3 T) apricot jam
- 45 ml (3 T) tomato sauce
- 15 ml (1 T) white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 fresh bread rolls
- soft margarine or butter
- whole coriander leaves or chopped parsley
- Cook the potatoes in a little water for 6 minutes. Then drain, cover and set aside until required.
- Heat the oil and fry the onion in it until soft and golden. Add the curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic and chilli and fry briefly – about a minute – then add the tomato. Stir until mushy then add the stock, tomato paste and par-boiled potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Whisk the flour, masala, apricot jam, tomato sauce and vinegar together until smooth and then stir into the meat mixture. Continue stirring until it thickens. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- To assemble, cut a thin slice of the tops of each roll and hollow out the centres and place in a warm oven for a few minutes. Next, spread the insides of the rolls generously with soft margarine or butter. Fill with the meat mixture and sprinkle with coriander leaves or parsley.